November 24, 2019
Looking for a last-minute Thanksgiving recipe to impress your guests? Or, maybe that dish you've been prepping all weekend spent a little too much time in the oven? You're in luck because we have something delicious (AND GLUTEN-FREE!) to serve up. If potatoes or string beans aren’t your jam, this dish fits the bill for a delicious, healthier side-dish option. Cauliflower is a superfood, containing vitamin A, fiber, vitamin C, and is loaded with phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. Indeed, it’s gluten-free, thanks to the almond and coconut flour needed to thicken up the grits, and will have everyone going up for seconds.
Serving Size: 2 Total Time: 45 minutes
Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Keto + Paleo-Friendly
+ 1½ cups cauliflower florets
+ 1 teaspoon coconut oil
+ ⅓ tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon almond flour
+ ⅓ tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut flour
+ ⅓ tablespoon butter or olive oil (if dairy-free)
+ ½ cup almond milk
+ ¼ teaspoon salt
+ ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
+ ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
+ ⅛ teaspoon pepper
+⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese (or dairy-free cheese), divided
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the cauliflower once boiling. Leave for about 7 minutes until fork-tender.
3. Drain the cauliflower and spread onto an absorbent towel. Gently press out the moisture from cauliflower onto paper towel as much as possible. Masher with a fork or masher until you make “grit-like” pieces, similar to rice.
4. Melt coconut oil in large pan over medium-high heat. When melted, add the almond flour, coconut flour, and butter to pan. Whisk until browned, about 1 minute.
5. Whisk in milk, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper in the pan until smooth.
6. Bring the contents to a boil and then reduce to medium. Stir occasionally until thickened, about 8 minutes.
7. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and whisk in about ⅔ of the cheese until smooth.
8. Spread ⅓ of the sauce on the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch pan. Place the cauliflower in the pan on top of the mixture and spoon the rest of the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
9. Bake until golden brown and bubbled (7 to 10 minutes). Broil for 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
10. Let cool and serve.
For extra hydration, pair with Cucumber + Mint Flow.